Thursday, October 28, 2010

21 Day Detox......Day 6


Only day 6! How long can this go on? I'm having random thoughts of baked goods thanks in part to my wife mentioning Rocket Bakery and cinnamon rolls. So spouses out there, if your mate is on a detox diet for 21 days (1st off try to be on it to) try not to eat like business as usual or at least keep your gustatory fantasies and indulgences to yourself.

Actually my wife is a Godsend. To be married to someone as passionate as I am (well almost) about good health helps. Much of our meal prep, at least for dinner, just needed little adjustments to stay within the diet. We had begun to eat a little more wheat products here and there. It seems especially easy with children to gravitate to the processed snack foods and "Annie's Mac N Cheese Bunnies." I was making this for my girls the other day for lunch and realized that it's probably just as nutrient devoid as the Kraft version. OK, it's organic so you aren't getting as many pesticides/herbicides and you are supporting sustainable agriculture, but I hope no one thinks noodles made of refined white wheat flour and mixed with some reconstituted cheesy sauce is a balanced meal. I personally don't find these boxes much more convenient then say cooking up some quinoa, add a little butter, salt, brewer's yeast, and romano cheese. Of course I know the kids like the little bunnies or shells better. So... just add some rice bran or something to provide some fiber, B vitamins, and minerals. Vegetables anyone? Kids (and adults) can't live on white flour and sugar alone.

The timing of this detox hasn't paired well with the weather. Ideally you want to do a fall diet of this sort before the cold sets in. For someone who grew up with endless Indian summers, eating fresh produce year round, this is a little rough. I weighed myself today and think I might need to increase my calories. But then again, what is the ideal weight for a 42 year old male who's 5' 8 1/2" and isn't working out enough? Probably less than we might think. Do a little reading about longevity and caloric intake and you'll discover that the fountain of youth is eating just enough to stay healthy.

We are all imbued with natural mechanisms to eat (assimilate) the right amount of calories. And not just calories but of what sort, animal, vegetable, mineral. The data is in.... and is overwhelming; placing a laboratory animal (or you and me) into the feeding experiment we now find ourselves, a world with drive throughs and the nutritional catastrophe that are our grocery stores, and we end up with high rates of excess body fat, deficiency, poor fitness, and all the diseases that result: cardiovascular dz, diabetes, hypothyroidism, cancer.............................
These foods fool our bodies and minds to think we are being well nourished when in fact we are being poisoned.......... slowly. They fill our bellies but leave our cells wanting..... for the stuff they need to run, not just the fuel, the oil, the coolant, the cofactors and detoxing agents that the body uses to prevent self-destruct.

Think about it.

Soon I get a serving of meat; it that Monday or Tuesday? I will dream on that. In the mean time I'll whip up something exciting for my evening snack

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I noticed that my hubby's skin is starting to glow! We are both hoping this cleanse will help us with some skin problems. We both have bumps on our arms, similar to a whitehead, that can be squeezed but we haven't noticed any change in them yet. Tom's had them since we met and mine started towards the last trimester of pregnancy. Tom also has some resemblance of eczema patches he'd like to see disappear.

I do feel lighter on my feet even though I'm only down 2lbs and so is Tom. Usually he drops weight much faster than this. The last cleanse in December he lost 10lbs in a week. You could see daily the changes. I lost 5lbs that time but it was right back on the following week. We both know weight loss will happen when eating this type of diet. I never mentioned it in my list of goals because it's almost inevitable but I've never been able to maintain it so trying to hold out that it will be permanent weight loss is a pipe dream.

Weight loss has always been extremely difficult for my mom and me. We both have some thyroid issues that I hope to remedy through Dr. G. Generally I don't put weight on quickly but gradually over the years its steadily increased until pregnancy which caused a spike. Still 25lbs to go which is pretty much where I've been since giving birth and I breastfed for 21 months with no luck in dropping any weight. Maybe with the next baby?? Please!!

We did succeed in completing our Plyometrics workout this morning though both of us had to take more breaks than usual. My hubby has been particularly struggling with low energy these past few days. After speaking with Dr. Graves we put together a plan to remedy it. We'll see if over the next few days it will kick in. We both want that wonderful boost of energy we hear people talk about who do this cleanse.


Breakfast - Blueberry smoothie

Lunch - apple

Dinner - Veggie Stirfry with rice, butternut squash and salad

Post a Comment