Tuesday, October 26, 2010

21 Day Detox......Day 4


This morning I awoke feeling like someone had drugged me. It was mostly my head, very groggy. I felt a little light headed as I tried to prepare breakfast and had a few mild waves of nausea. Some of this was my blood sugar but I'm definitely stirring up an internal toxic soup. Yesterday I took my 2nd and 3rd dose of SP Cleanse at 5pm and bedtime respectively. Since just like drugs, doses of herbs should take body weight into account and individual sensitivity, I may decrease to 5 or 6 caps 3x day. I've also found SP Cleanse sits better if I take it blended in the smoothie. Swallowing 7 capsule brings some air into the stomach and I've been having heartburn after my last dose. It's mild and doesn't last. Last night I took a little herbal remedy and it went away.

I didn't feel clear headed until after lunch today. Oh, breakfast was an apple and banana smoothie and some beet. Midmorning I felt low blood sugar so I had a piece of brown rice bread with ghee. Technically the program allows cooked brown/wild rice, but I caution eating things made from brown rice flour, say bread, pasta, crackers, and tortillas (it's easy to get too much starch). Lunch was leftover vegetable soup, winter squash, and a brown rice cake (yes, that's my second serving of rice today) with sesame spread on it. My gourmet dinner, exquisitely prepared by my lovely wife, was spaghetti squash with a vegetable sauce. Not sure everything that was in it but I think it included kale, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, garlic, EV olive oil, Redmond salt, basil, oregano, thyme, and a little balsamic vinegar. I topped it with a little brewer's yeast. I also put some butter on my squash.

I didn't seem to have any cravings today. I've been keeping up my water intake to about 64oz without too much trouble. I've been lucky to drink half that prior to the detox. The only way to do this is to have a water bottle bottle you can see the water level and keep it nearby at all times. Oh, the other new symptom I had all morning was dry mouth. My eyes were also dry. I just kept drinking and finally this improved after lunch.

I'll probably close the evening with a light snack. Not sure what yet. I want another smoothie but the kids are all in bed. I'm thinking of jello. I'll have to make my gelatin dessert soon. I use agar, as I suppose that gelatin isn't totally legal. I'd say it's fine after day 10. I'll probably just add blended fruit, beet, carrot and maybe some stevia.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Warning: Don't eat the chocolate banana pudding so close to bedtime. It may keep you awake!

We did our 1hr and 20 min P90X workout today: Chest & Back and Ab Ripper X! Boo-yah! We both had our shakes before the workout. My hubby had a hard time as his energy was really low. I handled it well and felt strong through the whole routine. We will have to see how the energy is tomorrow. It has tapered off throughout the day.

As for our activity level before baby...we did get decent exercise though not always in moderation. We enjoyed backpacking trips (hiked 45 miles in a week to see a glacier in the Ho Rain forest...breathtaking), tent camping, rock climbing, running, swimming, biking, ice skating and rollerblading. Prior to getting pregnant I was running 30 miles a week and went from 30 to zero once the energy level plummeted around week 6.

We found life outdoors invigorating but pregnancy thwarted our activity. We yearn for it again and we will get back to it but maybe not until we have our second which we are projecting for summer of 2012. Maybe I'll have more energy this next pregnancy than my first now that I am under Dr. G's care. And maybe the second baby will be easier on us than our first - please, please,oh pretty please!

There have been spurts in the past couple years of exercise. We'll get into a grove and it will last 4-8 weeks and then something changes and we can't continue. Right now we are doing P90X and have completed 6 weeks worth of exercises in the last 6 months. This is our second attempt but we are not doing daily exercises. Currently we have been doing two days a week for the past three weeks. We'd like to see four days...

Temptation got the best of me today as you will see below. The indulgence was minuscule.

Breakfast - 1/2 apple and Smoothie with double powders in homemade juice from beet, carrot and apple. 10oz

Lunch - Raw carrot and 1 1/2c Lentil soup which probably had more than 1/2 c of lentils. Oops.

Dinner - Garden spaghetti with brown rice noodles. A small 1/2 c yogurt...I couldn't resist. It was the best yogurt I've ever had. Also 1/4c Carob chips.

Maybe if this cleanse was about eating as much fruit as possible I'd be more inclined to cheat with broccoli, beans or squash.

Lentil Soup -
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-Soup/Detail.aspx

* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 carrots, diced
* 2 stalks celery, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 2 cups dry lentils
* 8 cups water
* 1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons vinegar
* salt to taste
* ground black pepper to taste

1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.



You can play with this recipe. I doubled the garlic, carrots,spices added 1/2 paprika, used lemon juice instead of vinegar. You could probably double everything but the lentils, water, oil and spinach. I subbed the water for homemade veggie stock and added some soy sauce. Needed to cook for a few hours.

Post a Comment