Wednesday, October 27, 2010

21 Day Detox......Day 5


This was a good day. No more brain fog like yesterday. If anything, I had a little difficulty focusing, but not too much worse than I might have now and then. My girls have been gifting me with extra sleep in the morning. This morning I awoke to my eldest tapping me and glancing at the clock was surprise to see it was eight-o'clock. I was a little sluggish getting going, but felt fine after breakfast. I made brown rice hot cereal with a little butter and sweetened with blended fruit. The girls loved it and I found it quite satisfactory.

My energy was good through the morning and didn't feel as hungry as lunchtime approached. My smoothie, carrot sticks and celery with sesame spread was filling and lasted me until dinner, black-eyed peas and sautéed kale with garlic and soy sauce. I just polished off an evening snack of pumpkin seeds, coconut, grapes, whey protein, unsweetened almond milk, a cal/mag powder, ground flax, and topped off with SP Cleanse powder. I thoroughly enjoyed this, ceasing the temptation to hit the cold cereal.

I'm trying to exercise more. So far it's mostly stretching and strengthening exercises at home. Did some squats tonight with more stretching. I prefer outdoor aerobic exercise. With the shorter days and colder weather it's been less inviting. I just need to get back into my routine when I lived near Seattle. You layer up, hat and gloves, night or day, and just get out and go. Running mainly. I'd still like to get on my bike before the snow and ice hit. I'll probably have to stick with resistance training with our double-wide jogger stroller and two turkeys along for the ride.

Oh, my family continues to taunt me with candy corn, rice and corn chex, mint chocolates, and plenty of cheese. Maybe tonight in my sleep I'll have visions of sugar plums.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Upon rolling out of bed this morning it was obvious this wasn't going to be a productive day. Our night was interrupted twice with our toddler's cry; once was an hour long episode, so we were both tired when we got up for the day and I had a headache. Oh, and not to mention the soreness from yesterday's workout. Hopefully we can make it to bed early tonight and give our bodies a good rest before tomorrow's workout - Plyometrics.

Speaking of sleep, we have been doing pretty good about getting our 8-9 hours a night but we were pretty good about this the past several months. Haven't noticed a difference in the quality and quantity of sleep since beginning this cleanse but I have noticed the vivid dreams every night so far and I wake up remembering them. Usually this would happen once or twice a week prior to detoxing.

That headache I woke up with continued to worsen over the course of the day and became borderline migraine with light sensitivity and mild nausea. I didn't take any medication for it but we have been OTC pill takers for headaches and menstrual cramps up until about 1 1/2 year ago. You will find that we can't rid ourselves of Excedrin Migraine when those nasty headaches arise which is less than once a month. The natural or homeopathic remedies just don't kick it but sleep usually will if we can make it to the end of the day. Usually I'll bear the cramps because its only a few days. Luckily they are bearable.

We may be weaning off the OTC but we've been increasing the supplements and when you take the right ones, thanks to Dr. G, you feel so much better. Within a month of seeing Dr. G for the initial visit my energy was starting to coming back. Its not fully restored but with this cleanse we will be able to detect the next piece in the puzzle to get my health back. Boy, am I looking forward to being healthy again.

I finally got my fries the legal way. Now to figure out a way to crave that Coke craving legally.

Breakfast - I just couldn't get the energy to make it plus I wasn't all that hungry

Lunch - Blueberry and banana smoothie with powders 1/2c Yogurt - oops! A bite of bread with butter - oops!

Dinner - Sweet Potato Fries (I think I died and went to heaven), Lentil soup and salad topped with carrots, onion and dressing

Snack - blueberry smoothie plus powders


Sweet Potato Fries - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ts-Sweet-Potato-Fries/Detail.aspx

* 4 sweet potatoes, cut into large French fries
* 1 tablespoon water
* 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
* 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
2. Place the cut sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe dish with the water. Cook on in the microwave for 5 minutes on full power. Drain off liquid, and toss with Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Arrange fries on a baking sheet in a single layer.
3. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once, or until fries are crispy on the outside.

I didn't use the lemon pepper and we preferred ours without the Italian seasoning.

Post a Comment